I was nearly attacked by a kamakaze hummingbird today. I didn't see it, or hear it, or even feel it, but while tending to my plants (Of which, sadly, there are much fewer than only a month ago) I was startled from silent musings by a sort of childish squeal. I turned to find the source of said sound and faced my boss who, apparently, was already part way through whatever she was saying. How these people expect to compete with the plants for my attention, I don't know. This was, essentially, that a hmming bird had almost flown right into my head just a second before.

There is something off with the winged creatures out here. They are either suicidal or dangerous thrill seekers. But not 2 days will pass before one flies right into the car at 60 miles an hour. Oh, they miss it, everytime. *knock on wood*, but some days they come within, i swear, a few meager inches.

And of course, time slows down then, like it will in a car accident. And ill throw my hand up to my mouth, gasp heavily, and hold my breath ntil I know it made it out okay. If Im passenger, Ill close my eyes.

I want to get out of the car and yell at them like some old man bitching about the teenagers on his lawn. "Damn kids!"

It must be the lake air. Or all the vineyards.

A random thought came to mind just now. Or a flashback, rather. Random, all the same.

I remember sitting in a career counselors office at the community college I briefly attended, and for some readon the career counelor bagan talking to me about a student he currently had. She was studying to be a vet and paying her way with stripping.

He said to me "I tried to explain to her that she'd never make as much as a vet as she did as a stripper..."

Yes, well. There it is.

And now I must learn about a missing pyramid. The History Channel demands so.

I abide. For science.

No comments: